Why Gun Control Will Fail In The U.S.


Record Number Of Americans Oppose Handgun Ban -- Washington Post

An unprecedented number of Americans support the right to own a handgun, despite the recent mass killings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., that have renewed the push for gun control.

Even with the killings in Newtown as a backdrop, a new Gallup poll shows 74 percent of Americans now support the right to possess a handgun, while just 24 percent would support a ban.

In fact, the Gallup poll is a near-perfect example of why passing gun control legislation will be difficult.

Read more
....

My Comment: A disclaimer .... in Canada I use to own a 20 gauge Browning 26" shotgun that I kept up north at my chalet in the Laurentians of Quebec (I had a problem with bears .... but I fortunately never had to shoot one .... I still have a problem with bears, but I have learned to live with them). Growing up in Russia .... well .... that's another story .... I essentially test fired every gun that I could get my hands on (Yup .... the AK-47 was my favorite .... but in Canada it carries a mandatory 10 years sentence in jail if you have one .... hence it is a big no-no for me).

But as I have grown older my distaste for guns has grown. And while I do accept the premise that people kill people ... not guns killing people .... I do want to see a better screening process on who can have a weapon .... and who cannot .... and if you are caught having one when you are not suppose to .... the penalties are then very severe and mandatory.

But will this happen .... I sincerely doubt it. As the above Gallop Poll clearly reveals, the mass majority of Americans want to keep their weapons and to have access to even more weapons, and they will vote out anyone who is serious in pushing legislation or restrictions that limit this 2nd Amendment right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment