[MacBook] Re: Air or Pro?

 

I'd lean toward the Pro. Granted it is 1.5 pounds heavier, you have a faster processor and the ability to upgrade the RAM yourself. Instead of buying the 8GB upgrade from Apple, you can buy 8 GB from Amazon for $40. Installation is simple.

The same goes for the hard drive. You can swap out the slow 5400 RPM 500 GB HD for either a 240 GB SSD from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/) for between $250-$350 or if you want more local storage, get the Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Hybrid HD/SSD for $150. It's not as fast as a SSD but is faster than other hard drives for the money when loading frequently used applications.

Ed Gray
2.2GHz Quad Core i7 15 inch MacBook Pro w/ 16GB RAM and 750 GB Momentus XT HD

--- In macbook@yahoogroups.com, Michael King <Mking8@...> wrote:
>
> On 6/16/12 3:18 PM, "texasexpediter" <K5LDB.Leo@...> wrote:
>
> > I am considering converting and debating which model to choose. I will go with
> > a 13" screen. I travel a lot by van which is set up to be home and office
> > while away. I have three stand alone spreadsheets used for payroll data
> > storage and calculation. I do a small amount of text editing. I participate in
> > some Yahoo groups and a couple of forums related to my business. I have
> > business and personal emails. I might watch an episode of a TV show on abc.com
> > or USA.com or whatever.
> >
> > I have heard of GTA and a few other games but don't play any. I do now and
> > then enjoy sudoku and crosswords. IOW, I don't do any highly intensive
> > computational work. I'm considering the $1,199 version of both models with the
> > $100 upgrade to 8gb memory. The weight of the Pro isn't an issue since I won't
> > be schlepping it for miles across campuses or anything.
> >
> > Opinions please, based on my usage, whether the extra memory is advisable,
> > whether one model is superior to the other, and any/all other
> > comments/suggestions/opinions you'd care to share. Thanks and 73.
> I have both a 15inch Quad Core i7 MacBook Pro as well as a 13inch Core i7
> MacBook Air and it depends on what you need if you need the Storage I
> would gt the MacBook Pro since you can get a 1TB HD in it. But if you need a
> light weight laptop and do not mind the 256 SSD that come in the Air then I
> would go with the Air not true at I think for $500 to $1,000 dollars you can
> get a 500 GB SSD for the Air. Since I have a Thunderbolt Drive that I hook
> up the the Air to have my iTunes and Photos on it. I am quite happy with
> the Air. As I said it depends on what you need. The Pro has more power then
> the Air but the Air can hold it on with demanding software as well.
> Mike
>
>
> Michael King
> 2.2GHz Quad Core i7 15 inch MacBook Pro
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment