Re: [MacBook] Bunch of N00B questions

 

Others will have to chime in on iTunes and sharing your library - as far as I know you cannot cache your playlists....but you can have your library accessible to 5 devices so you could have two copies.

OSX, like any previous OS in Apples history, is designed to work on Apple hardware ONLY. No clones, (Actually, power computing and one other company made clones a long time ago but never again)

Running windows on mac hardware works very well.

Hope that helps a little....not much, Im afraid.

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert
To: macbook@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:37 AM
Subject: [MacBook] Bunch of N00B questions

Ok. So, I might be new to the MBP, but not new to the whole networking idea, except it's under Windoze. That being said I have a few questions regarding networking and file sharing in a home network environment with the Mac OS X.

(1) I would like to centralize mu iTunes library so my wife and I can share the same set of files, but I'm wondering if iTunes will then look for the MP3s on that file share all the time, even when the MBP is not connected to the home network. If it would look for the file share, is there a way to setup iTunes (or another software package) to cache the playlists locally on the MBP.

(2) Can another computer running Mac OS X (either Leopard or Snow Leopard) be setup as a TimeCapsule, much in the same way you can purchase either the 1 or 2TB TimeCapsule. I don't need to purchase the TimeCapsule as I have more WiFi access points than I really need.

(3) I have a "homegrown" desktop that is currently running Windoze, how hard would it be for me to put a copy of OS X on it with the hardware that is currently installed in it? Micro$oft has a hardware compatibility list for their OS, does something like that exist in the Apple realm and how hard is it to get drivers for the hardware that is out there currently.

I ultimately would like to convert that desktop to OS X and use it as a file server to store pictures, music, video and eBooks as well as use TimeMachine to backup our MBPs.

Thanks for all the help!!

Rob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment