Chuck Hagel Will Not Be The Next U.S. Secretary Of Defense

Photo: Ret. U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel. Wikipedia

Top Republican Senator Will Oppose Hagel Nomination -- Washington Post

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), the Republican whip, told me in a phone interview this morning he would oppose the nomination of Chuck Hagel as secretary of defense: “I can’t support a Hagel nomination if it comes,” he said. He is the first senator to expressly state he would oppose Hagel. He told me he thinks there would be substantial opposition to Hagel on both sides of the aisle. “I’ve heard prominent Democrats concerned about his position on Israel. Many Republican have said they did not want to prejudge. But it would be a bad move and one of the reasons I’ve taken the position [to oppose]. ‘Mr. President don’t do that. It would be a bad nomination.’”

Read more
....

My Comment: After nominating John Kerry to be the next U.S. Secretary of State, I was surprised that there was no mention by the White House on of who was the nominee for U.S. Secretary of Defense. I am now reading this story .... and if true it will probably explain why Chuck Hagel was not named today .... and if I was a betting man .... I will not be surprised if his named has now been been quietly dropped from the list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment