Re: [MacBook] IPad vs. Kindle etc.?

Hi Carol,

May as well throw in my 2 cents.
For straight reading, an ebook reader is the best bet. I have a MacBook Pro and never use it for reading. My wife has an Asus tablet which I used on vacation for reading, but had to charge it after 2 days, or maybe it was one?
It did come in handy for checking my email occasionally. This is why I ended up buying an actual ebook reader.
I have a sony wifi reader and for reading books, I carry it daily. It does what it is supposed to do extremely well. Let's me read. The screen is close to a real book, I got the cover with booklight for night time.
My ereader usually holds the charge for a month. Heavy reading, it has never been less than 2 weeks, usually it is close to the month on a single full charge. I've spoken to a few people lately who have the Kobo, and they love it also.
I've never used the iPad, but is does sound like a swiss army knife cross between a Macbook and ebook reader. I have no idea how long the iPad holds its charge.

Have Fun

Gary


On 2012-05-17, at 6:22 PM, Carol Botteron wrote:

> Can someone please point me to a comparison of the iPad vs. Kindle and
> similar devices?
>
> I'll be taking a train ride (3 days each way) and want to be able to read
> without lugging lots of books. Not sure whether the train will have wifi
> but if I'm somewhere that does, I'd like to be able to check my email.
> Apparently some Kindle-like devices have this capability. One question
> is which devices can run for 3 days without needing a new charge.
>
> If I get something that can connect to the net, I'd like to be able to
> use it at home too. I have used Macs since the 80s but always with a
> modem cable (have DSL now) so I'm pretty clueless about wirelessness.
> What would I need to be able to use an iPad/whatever?
>
> Recommendations of the best new toy, or any suggestions, would be
> welcome. adTHANKSvance!
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macbook/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macbook/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
macbook-digest@yahoogroups.com
macbook-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
macbook-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 comments:

Post a Comment