Re: [MacBook] MacBook problem

 

At one point I could safe boot, now just a black screen. OK, remedially if
you will, take me through trying to boot up with my SL DVD. Please remember
you are talking to mental midget at this point (brain dead). The mouse trick
still worked, or did a few days ago when I couldn't get the Lion DVD out. At
this point, nothing to lose. Actually feels quite refreshing. Not much
pressure.

Ron

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Glenn Gutierrez <yah@glenngutierrez.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> Ah, I thought you said you could safe-boot.
>
> If you can completely boot up with the Snow Leopard DVD, then it may indeed
> be your internal HD going bad. After booting from the CD, you should be able
> to go up to the Utilities menu and run Disk Utility to check things out in a
> little more detail.
>
> To get the DVD back out if things go sideways, you can either reboot and
> hold the eject key (or press it repeatedly, as I usually end up doing), or
> hold the mouse button down (if that old floppy trick still works?). Last
> resort: Use the paper clip hole trick after powering back down. Basically,
> there are a few ways to safely get the disc out. No worries.
>
> G
>
>
> On 15 Sep 2011, at 1:39 PM, Ron Dragotta wrote:
>
> > Hi Glenn, how you doing? Right now when I try to boot up this is what I
> get:
> >
> > - the normal tone
> >
> > - can hear and feel 'something' working
> >
> > - just a black screen, nothing else
> >
> > Can always load my SL install DVD in there on start up but will never be
> > able to get it out, I'm pretty sure of that. And if something is being
> read,
> > there is no display.
> >
> > When I do a hard shut down, all you here is feeble sound when it powers
> off.
> > Also no power light when it's powered on, but I know it's on. Like I said
> > can feel it and faintly here something trying to work.
> >
> > At this point I'm guess this thing is KIA. Will probably have to replace
> the
> > hard drive. Good thing I'm backed up to a good extent. Basically photos
> and
> > music. Quicken is on a flash drive all by itself and can just be
> downloaded
> > again, everything else is basically 'in the clouds'.
> >
> > Maybe an omen. Maybe MacBook Air time.
> >
> > Any other input appreciated...this was my first Mac, expected more but
> the
> > problem was not doing a clean install of Lion, my fault there. Did not
> load
> > Lion on my wife's MacBook, so have that and also a 3-year old Tosh I can
> use
> > as a band aid.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Glenn Gutierrez <yah@glenngutierrez.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> **
> >>
> >>
> >> On 15 Sep 2011, at 11:47 AM, Ron wrote:
> >>
> >>> - I was able to boot up in safe mode and also re-install mode. When in
> >> reinstall mode I tried to do a disc repair, but it came back saying
> "keys
> >> out of order. Then "disc can not be repaired". I tried to reinstall Lion
> but
> >> got no further than "disk locked."
> >>
> >> That points to your Lion install, unfortunately. There is no official
> DVD
> >> installer for Lion, only a way to dig in and grab a restoration disc
> image.
> >> I have no idea if that would be useful for a fresh Lion install or not.
> The
> >> disc itself may even be corrupt (probably not, but it's possible).
> >>
> >> It's also possible that Lion was working fine, but something else in
> your
> >> system from pre-Lion didn't so much like the Lion. Completely clean
> installs
> >> are usually recommended right now, from what I've seen. As a pro-audio
> guy,
> >> I can't upgrade yet because too many 3rd party things don't play nice
> with
> >> the king of the jungle.
> >>
> >> Have you tried booting from your Snow Leopard disc, then seeing if you
> can
> >> get anywhere from there?
> >>
> >> G
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 596. A good idea is checking yours at freecreditscore.com.

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment